Being injured at work can be a highly stressful experience, and dealing with the workers’ compensation system on your own only adds more stress to your situation. In order to improve your chances of a successful claim, here are some general rules to follow when it comes to workers’ compensation:
- Do not delay reporting your injury. Workers’ compensation law requires that work-related injuries be reported within a short period of time. If you do not report your injury in a timely manner, you may risk having your claim denied.
- Get medical treatment as soon as possible. If you think you have sustained an injury at work, you should seek medical attention. In case of an emergency, visit the hospital immediately. Otherwise, make an appointment for a medical evaluation as soon as possible. Any delay may make it seem to the insurance company that you weren’t really injured, so don’t wait.
- Explain how you got hurt. It is important that you accurately and completely explain how you were injured so that everything is reflected accurately in your medical records. You don’t have to elaborate, but make sure that you have communicated everything of importance and stick to your story. Any inconsistency in your story could hurt your case.
- Get the names of any witnesses. If anyone was around to witness your injury, make sure you get their names and contact information. In a close case, a witness can help prove that you were in fact injured at work and not elsewhere.
- Fill out accident report forms accurately. If your employer requires you to fill out and sign an accident report, make sure you do so accurately. Any errors could slow down the process.
- Don’t give a recorded statement to the insurer. If the insurance company asks you to provide a recorded statement, politely decline. If you don’t have a lawyer, giving a statement will not help you.
- Work with an attorney. It is a good idea to consult with an attorney with experience handling workers’ compensation cases. Your attorney can guide you through the entire process and ensure that you are paid the benefits that you are entitled to.
Injured at work? Turn to The Law Offices of Nathaniel F. Hansford, LLC. With a track record including million-dollar case results, we have the experience and resources that it takes to obtain maximum results for our clients. We’re prepared to guide you through your case from start to finish in pursuit of the just outcome you deserve.
Call us today at (770) 629-9321.
Our Atlanta workers’ compensation attorneys accept cases throughout Georgia and Alabama.