The primary goal of the workers’ compensation system is to get injured workers healed so they can move forward with their lives and return to work.
However, getting back into the groove of work after an injury can be stressful as well as physically and emotionally demanding. Here are some ways to make the process easier and return to work safely:
- Keep in Contact With Your Employer. Let your employer know how your medical progress is going, any medical restrictions you will need accommodations for, and a rough estimate of when you may return to work.
- Wait Until Your Doctor Approves Your Return. If your doctor has not cleared you to go back to work, you should not do so. Returning to work early can cause you to get reinjured and jeopardize the outcome of your workers’ comp case.
- Don’t Go Back Before You Are Ready. Before you plan on returning to work, make sure you feel mentally and physically well enough to do so. Communicate with your doctor how you are feeling so they can recommend any restrictions for your work.
- Take on Lighter Loads and Shorter Shifts. You may not be able to immediately perform the same job duties you do before and to the extent that you did before your injury, and that’s okay! Communicate with your employer that you need lighter loads or shorter shifts as you’re adjusting back to work life.
- Listen to Your Body and Take Breaks. It’s important to remember that your body may have to adjust to working again. While you may want to push yourself to finish your work, make sure to listen to your body’s needs throughout the day and take any needed rest breaks.
- Remember It’s Okay to Ask for Help. Returning to the place you sustained your injury can be daunting, but remember that you don’t have to do it alone. Always look for support in your coworkers, friends, and supervisors so that they can understand how to best help you.
Advocating for Injured Workers Across Georgia
We understand that the workers’ compensation process can be challenging. That’s why we are committed to helping our clients through their cases from start to finish. Our legal team will guide you each step of the way to ensure your rights are protected and you have the best possible chances at making a complete recovery.
Contact The Law Offices of Nathaniel Hansford at (770) 741-2825 to speak with our legal team for free today.